Sunday 28 January 2018

Gearing Up for Grand Canyon Hike

For this upcoming trip I will be purchasing some new kit.  I try to ensure my purchases will not be specific to a single trip but will be equipment I can be using for future trips too.

Sheltering

MEC Spark 1

I bough my last tent, an MSR Hubba Hubba back in 2010 before I cycled the French Camino from Le Puy to St. Jean Pied ed Port.  It has served me well on many trips since.  This is a fairly tight two person tent weighing in around 2 kg but a bit of over kill for this trip.
I have been thinking about picking up a super light weight solo tent so this seemed like the time to add to my tent stable.   The MEC Spark 1 is a roomy, solo tent that only weights about 1 kg and is fraction of the bulk of the Hubba Hubba.  $299 is a very reasonable price too.

Hydrating

Ken recommends that we have the capacity to carry six litres of water.  I will be taking two water bottles 1.0 and 1.5 litres.  For 'bulk' carrying I purchased a 4.0 litre MSR Dromedary water storage bag.  This is made of a tough material with sturdy tie downs.  It fits nicely on the outside of backpack.  Weights only 186 grams empty and rolls up pretty small when not required.



Electrolyte Replacing

I am a sweaty guy when hiking and have in the past suffered from agonizing leg cramps at night following strenuous activity.  Some folks I know swear by electrolyte replacement tablets.  If I am ever going to try these out a long hot desert hike would be the time.  Added bonus is these provide a light flavouring to the water.  I've gone for berry and lemonade flavours.  One tablet per 500 ml of water. 



Trenching 

Solid human waste is best disposed of underground.  This practice requires a digging tool to perform adequately.  There are little hiking trowels on the market but for my purposes this sturdy $2 aluminum snow tent stake which is almost weightless should do nicely.  Made in England too.



Sleeping

Rather late in life I came to the realization that when backpacking I really need a pillow to get a decent night's sleep.  I can put up sleeping on hard or uneven surfaces much better if my head in supported.  The MEC air pillow has good reviews so hoping this will work for me.

Eating

Taking six assorted freeze dried dinners.



No comments:

Post a Comment