Sunday 1 June 2014

Camino Day 15

Date: June 1st
Start: Palas de Rei
Stop: Santiago de Compostela
Distance: 72 km
Weather: Clear and hot (28 degrees high!)
Summary in one sentence: Straightforward hilly highway run.

Nice weather with a bit of a tailwind to Santiago.   Being a Sunday the traffic was very light.  Hilly but gradual and net downhill.   On outskirts of Santiago joined the Camino proper and arrived around 1:30.  City confusion as usual but eventually found way to cathedral for obligatory photo on the steps.  Approached by tiny Spanish women who talked me into booking into her B&B which was very nice, centrally located and at €20 a good deal.
Spent afternoon orientating myself and exploring town.  Being Sunday there was much going on in the streets with folk singing groups and samba bands.
Lined up for an hour at pilgrims office to have my credential checked and issued my official Composela document.
Tomorrow off to the sea - 88 km to Finisterre.

5 comments:

  1. Samba bands? You know I love Samba bands. Were they as good as the ones we saw at La Merce two years ago?
    I see the Cathedral is wrapped in scaffolding. I'll never forget how disheartened I was, having read Room with a View a dozen times, to find all the statues in the main piazzi in Florence under wraps and the pavers torn up. Looks like the inside, scentsor (sp?) swinging part is is still in in service so hope you enjoyed this part. Hard to believe you wont be home for a week yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swinging incense certainly added some action to the otherwise stoic mass for sure. Everyone applauded when it ended.

      Delete
  2. Dear Randy, I just came across your blog. I am planning to bike the Camino sometime in Aug and Sept, I was thinking of starting in Paris, and working my way down. This is the first I have heard of these bikes! Are they really equal to the task? small tire myth? Any reason why you purchased a Friday and not a Brompton? Thanks Dan (padredanlong@gmail.com) did you also, just find accomodations along the way? without reservations.... This will be a first for me, any tips will be appreciated! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan and sorry for delayed reply. The Bike Friday bikes are built to be serious bikes that fold where I understand the Bramptons are more a commuter bike. My bf is very strong and can take racks on frint and rear , has super strong wheels with extra spokes for carrying heavy me and kit without breaking spokes, has 27 speeds including a 17 inch low gear that is about walking speed but gets you up the big hills. There is no lcomparison with brompton if looking for serious touring bike imo. People I meet have hard time understanding I can ride up and down hills ax well as I do with small wheels. Check out bf web site. I am a huge fan particularly if multi modal transport is in your plans. Even on this trip I has taken my bf on plane, in taxi and on highspeed euro train that would be impossible orvery difficult with regular bike.
      Accommodation s have not been a problem. I have stayed in€5 albergue s up to €35 hotels. If you can afford to spend up if albergues are fullthen no problem. Tip is to start early and end early each dsy. It os the folks rolling in around 5:00 that risk being out of a bed. Also I understand july and aug much busier. Enjoyyour trip Dan and keep in touch. Rand

      Delete