Wednesday 15 August 2018

Sunshine Coast Bicycle Ramble

This past week I cycled part of the Highway 101 'Sunshine Coast Cycling Route'  from our place in Gibsons Landing to our friend's cottage at Garden Bay.  I loaded up my trusty Bike Friday with camping gear as my initial plan was to carrying on to Powell River then cross over the strait to Comox and then south to Nanaimo and home.


The route for day one

The first leg is 72 km and after this day I realized due to a series of unanticipated factors (hilliness of route, weight of loaded bike, lack of recent cycle training, age?) I somewhat over estimated the joy of this trip.  Decided to change the plan and on day two cycled back to Sechelt where I camped at Porpoise Bay Provincial Park then cycled back to Gibsons on day three.

A total of 165 km and overall good time with some gentle reminders tossed in!


Selfie at Trout Lake

Big old hill

Chez Doug for a great overnight stop

Mixal Lake near Garden Bay

Wild fire haze over Porpoise Bay

Porpoise Bay cyclist's campground

In preparation for this ride I replaced out my well worn front Schwalbe tire.  I have used these 1.75" tires for years and have been very pleased with the durability and puncture resistance.  

Guess the worn one?

Picked up this $18 rubbery mobile phone holder for handlebars.  Low tech and worked well.  Used it to track progress on Map.me and play motivational Spotify tunes while peddling.











No comments:

Post a Comment