Friday 23 June 2017

Montague Paratrooper Mountain Bike Transformation (Part 4 - Handlebars, Pedals and Accessories)

I was happy to retain my original handlebar stem which meant I could keep the original bars too.   It appears if I replaced the stem I would have needed new bars as the modern stem bar clamp is larger than the older ones that fit my original bars with smaller diameter.  That's $50 I get to keep!

Bars were modified as follows:
  • Grips - MEC Ergo grips ($6)
  • Bar ends - from the bike parts box (free)
  • Cycle computer - old school but functional from the bike parts box.  Just needed a battery ($2)
  • Bell - from the bike parts box (free)
  • Handlebar bag - triangular 'glove box' bar bad for keys, phone, etc. from parts box (free)





Pedals are an old pair of the Shimano combo SPD/platforms that I have used on an assortment of past bikes.  From the parts box (free). I expect to be riding 50/50 with cycling shoes/hikers so this type of pedal is brilliant.  

Picked up a new MEC Bike Planet pump ($12) that mounts on the water bottle cage mounts.  It colour matches the frame quite well.


Seat/tool bag is re-purposed from the bike parts box (free) as were the tools within..

Here is the result of the make over project posed on the Poco Trail on the first summer evening of 2017 with the Pitt River in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment