Wednesday 21 June 2017

Salt Spring Island Summer Solstice Microadventure Challenge

Alastair Humpreys is a British adventurer who has created and promotes the concept of 'Microadventures'.

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/

The idea behind this is that with some creativity one can experience adventures in the outdoors in short, simple, local, cheap and fun.  Not everyone can drop everything a blast off the Mongolia or Patagonia but short hike, bike or paddle closer to home could be quite doable.

On his web site he is running the 'Summer Solstice Microadventure Challenge' for this week.

With this is mind and a free weekend on my hands I decided to pack up my bike and overnight gear and catch the after work ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island (1.5 hrs - dinner, nap).  From Swartz Bay I caught the smaller ferry to Fulford Harbour on Salt Spring Island (0.5 hr).






Disembarking at 7:40 pm I had a tranquil twilight ride along country roads to the love Ruckle Farm
Provincial Park.


 Briefly held up by a sheep road block.


Camp set up by dark and enjoyed a drink and late dinner before turning in at 10:30 pm.







Awoken at 5:00 am by the early daylight the sounds of birds.  Hot breakfast and a couple of cups of coffee preceded my leisurely packing up and hitting the road back to Fulford.


I was a bit early for the return trip to Swartz Bay so I practiced the bits of only two songs that I know (Year of the Cat and Imagine) on the outdoor piano at the dock.




 A Father's Day -1 bonus  was having Sam cycle out to join me for lunch at the Stonehouse Pub in Swartz Bay (highly recommended).  Caught the 3:00 pm return ferry and was home by 6:00 pm.

Nice little get away.



No comments:

Post a Comment