Monday 17 July 2017

Belt Bag (please don't call it a fanny pack)

For my upcoming Porto Camino walk and further travels I am in the market for shoulder type bag that I can use to organize small items like mobile phone, guide book, maps, sunscreen, etc.   It should be comfortable enough to wear in conjunction with my large backpack yet small enough to fit inside the main pack if raining for example.

I have an MEC sling bag (too big and does fit while wearing larger pack) and a small 'man purse' that I bought from a street vendor in Portugal last year (too small).

On a recent trip to Nelson BC I popped into the Valhalla Pure outdoors shop and found a 4.5 litre bag called the 'Travel Belt' made by the German company Deuter.  It only weights 310 grams and was selling for $59.  I bought it.





http://www.deuter.com/CA/ce/hip-belts/travel-belt-39030-black-grey.html


This bag seems to tick all the boxes as they say...




Organizer - two main pockets one with a key clip and mesh pockets on each end (large enough
to hold a small water bottle) and a flat mesh pocket on the front (perfect to hold a cap).


Size - just right.  Big enough to carry a light shirt, cap, book, phone, etc. but not too big to be obtrusive. 




Belt bag - nice padded back and belt that all tucks away into a hidden sleeve if not used.  Can be comfortably worn while cycling.









Shoulder bag - comes with a clip on strap so this bag can be used as a shoulder bag.









I particularly like the hidden belt storage through the sleeve in the back of the bag because the hip belt from my backpack can be threaded through thereby allowing this bag to be used as a large hip belt pack.  Cool.
















Added bonus is with a couple of velco straps this bag can be transformed into a serviceable handlebar bag.




This little belt bag will fill a useful niche at the small end my pack collection.






No comments:

Post a Comment