Tuesday 20 May 2014

Camino Day 3

Date: May 20th
Start: Puenta la Reina
Stop: Viana
Distance: 65 km
Weather: Bits of everything - clouds, sun, showers, headwinds
Summary in one sentence: Quintessential awesome cycle touring day - cool weather, varying and moderately challenging riding, excellent almost traffic free roads, interesting villages and people.

The thunderstorm expected yesterday arrived in the middle of the night and was done by morning.  I didn't notice thanks to to lingering jet lag exhaustion and the noise dampening effects of the German fellow snoring in the bunk above me.  The walking pilgrims sharing my room (five of us in the room) like to get an early start which was fine with me - we were packed up and out by 7:00.  Nice 20 km ride to Estella where I explored the town a bit and grabbed a 'cafe solo' at a bar before the short ride to the Irache monastery and wine fountain.  Steady cimbing through the wheat fields with wonderful vistas.  Arrived at Los Arcos where I found an open bar for a 3€ grand cerveza to have the ham sandwiches I smuggles out of the breakfast buffet at the albergue this morning.  More up and down riding until arriving at Viana where I secured a spot in an eight bed room at the modern Izar albergue (€13 including breakfast).  Laundry and a walk about town and then dinner fashionably late.

No comments:

Post a Comment